Friday 5 July 2013

Shifts, sirens and sleepless night

I have been working as a Paramedic up in Mid Wales since the beginning of January. I can honestly say I LOVE MY JOB. I work in such a great station, everyone has been so welcoming and friendly. I couldn't have asked for better people to work with. I get along with everyone on the station so well and I feel they have taught me and helped me so much.

I work in amongst the Brecon Beacons, which is a national park. So everyday I drive through the most beautiful scenery. It really is gorgeous up here. The only problem with that is it is pretty remote. Our nearest hospital is a hour away. Which can be pretty scary sometimes when you have a poorly patient on board.

I have had a good mix of jobs up here, ranging from purely social calls to serious trauma and complex medical calls. I really have learnt 100% more since I've graduated and been working up here than I did throughout my 2 years training. Knowing I am now solely responsible for making calls and am the professional on scene is quite scary, but I feel I am slowly growing in confidence and believing in myself more.

The shifts I work are pretty good too. I work 12 hour shifts. Either 7am-7pm or 7pm-7am. And as weird as it sounds I prefer night shifts. I HATE mornings. Also night shifts I am able to talk to Mike so I like them more. The down side is how crazy your sleep patterns become. I have no idea what day of the week it is or date of the month anymore. Ive learnt when I need to sleep before each shift but its still strange sleeping when its sunny outside and also a bit depressing. But oh well.

I am so fortunate to say I love my job, I know so many people who dread waking up and going to work each day. I cant think of anything worse. I just wish our uniform was a bit nicer. Our uniform has been compared to a wheelie bin, the green giant, shrek and modeled on barney.

I just hope that I continue to work as a Paramedic, keep on improving  learning and be able to work in the job I love for many more years to come.


Flossy x

No comments:

Post a Comment