Tuesday 10 January 2012

Hostess with the Mostess

A week before Christmas one of my friends from camp came to visit. So yet again I played hostess with the mostest to an American. If I keep having Americans in my house the government will be onto me soon.
Tiff had been studying in Greece for a semester and on her way home stopped off in the UK to see what we have to offer. She flew in on the Wednesday night into Birmingham, so my friend Amy picked her up from the airport and she spent 2 days up there with her.

Saturday
Tiff caught the train down to me and arrived around 3:30. In the night we went for a meal in my favourite restaurant 'The Harvester' (not the most upmarket restraunt, but I LOVE it) and then we watched the Cardiff Devils Ice Hockey team play. Tiff had never been to a game before so I was glad I had done something new for her. Luckily the Devils won too.

Sunday
 I took Tiff on a little tour of my town and then down to a few local beaches and bays, it was so windy though and Tiff found it very could so we couldnt stay out for too long. In the night we went ice skating in Winter Wonderland. Tiff said she wasn't good at ice skating.. LIE! she was good, luckily neither of us fell over. When we got home we put up the christmas tree in my conservatory and decorated it, the tree was a bit wonky and had a big bald bit in the middle but I think we did a good job. We finished our day by watching The Devil Wears Prada. I absolutely love that film. I first saw it in London with my mum and Meryl Streep is just amazing in it.




Monday
We had a rain day, so what else is there to do on rainy days than watch films and ... BAKE. On the Wednesday I was going over my other Amy's house for a big christmas day with the girls and wanted to bake cakes so seized my opportunity. I found what I wanted to make on... surprise surprise.. Pinterest. (Which if you still havent yet checked it out you NEED too www.pinterest.com) They didnt quite turn out like the ones on the website but still we tried. I'm sure next year when I make them again, they will be even better. After that we watched the Black Swan. That is one messed up and confusing film! I don't do very well with scary films anyway and especially ones that play with your mind, so after watching that I had an interesting night sleep.

Tuesday
We had a very early wake up call of 4:30! We were going to LONDON! Im more than used to the drive there now, we even stayed in the hotel I go to before I pick up Michael. Our first hurdle was trying to catch a bus to the nearest tube station. Sounds pretty easy right? Nope, none of the buses would stop even though we were stood in the bus stop with our hands somewhat out. After the 7th or 8th bus went past Tiff had learnt not to be so polite so frantically waved down the next bus. No one likes to chat or take their time in London, we got told to hurry along by some miserable old women when we were trying to ask the bus driver which stop we had to get off at. Eventually we managed to get into central London, (Tiff slept all the way on the tube) and then my tour finally began. I did the same route I took Mike on. Started at Hyde Park then walked to Buckingham palace, then walked down the Mall to Trafalgar square. We walked around Covent Garden for a little bit and found a little cafe to get some food cause we were starving!! I payed £15 for a bacon sandwich and a tiny glass of coke, I don't like London prices, no wonder everyone there is so skinny. We then had to go and meet Amy who was catching the train down to meet us. Once we were all reunited we carried on walking around. I have found my new favourite place as-well, Camden. It is amazing, all the shops are real quirky and they decorate the outside of the shops amazingly. There is a big market there, and they were selling dresses for £10 I easily could have bought 10 dresses. They were so pretty! I'll be taking a trip back there next time I go and have a bit more money to spend. For the rest of the day we walked around the eye, Big Ben, Houses of Parliment, Dowing street and Westminster Abby. So with very sore feet we went back to the hotel. Then went to a pub for some food. I was absolutely exhausted so fell asleep straight away when we got back.









Wednesday
Another early wake up call of 5:00.. OUCH! We dropped Tiff off and did the dreaded goodbye. It was really nice to see her, and hopefully it wont be the last time. I dropped Amy off in Reading station on the way home and then quickly had to get ready to go over Amy's for our Christmas day.

It was a really nice few days, I always like catching up with people and reminiscing about 'old times'.

Flossy x

No comments:

Post a Comment