Friday 3 February 2012

Beep...Beep...Beep

BEEP..this is.. BEEP..all I've heard...BEEP...all week... BEEP

As part of my training I spend time in different departments in hospitals to see how they work and what exactly goes on in there, this week I was in CCU (the heart department). It was really good and very beneficial. I felt a bit out of my depth some times but then their knowledge is much more in-depth and they have been in the job for years. All the staff were so welcoming, very eager to help and answer any questions I had. They are keen to get students in to their department so that they can teach us and let us know what information that they like to have from us and how we can help speed up the treatment of the patients.

I saw some amazing operations that literally do save peoples lives. I saw stents being put in, angioplasty's, pacemakers fitted and saw the care they receive on wards. It's fascinating, and has helped my anatomy and physiology knowledge ten fold. I learn by seeing and doing things practically. I can read a book for hours and hours and only about 1/4 will stick . If I see things then I can relate to it much easier and if I ever come across it again I think back to when I saw it and it all comes flooding back . I still haven't got used to being stuck inside all day, the stuffy rooms with very weird lighting defiantly affect me . So team that with constant beeping I nearly developed a nervous twitch. I hate constant noise.. like beeping, clicking or tapping. School exams use to push me to my limit, why do people tap their pens or their feet against their chair legs?!?! A few times I had to ask the examiners to go and ask them to stop or  get eye contact and throw them a look that says 'tap once more and I will throw my pen at you'.

I'm also glad I'm not in hospital anymore so I can stop being asked if I'm pregnant. I'm NOT I can promise you! But in lots of the procedures I stood in on and watched, they use x ray's so they don't allow pregnant women in the room as it can be harmful to the baby. I hope they normally get everyone in the room to ask individually or it means they clearly didn't believe me the first, second, third and even fourth time of asking and I'll just wear bigger scrubs next time and cut down on the chocy's. Saying that though, I couldn't have picked a better week to be inside either..its been freezing! -11 was recorded last night.. brrr!

I'm back out on the Ambulance Sunday for the rest of my placement, I cant wait. I feel like this week has helped me so much and I feel a lot more confident now.

Flossy x


1 comment:

  1. It's something that's trained into all of us from the start, so don't take offence :D xx

    ReplyDelete