Tuesday 17 April 2012

Push

Yesterday was one of the best days of my training so far. I got to witness a baby being born. As part of my training I have a week in different maternity wards and clinics to get comfortable and learn more about child birth. Before yesterday when we watched videos and had classroom training childbirth made me feel quite ill. I thought it was disgusting and it almost put me off wanting children. Yesterday however I got so into it I found myself pushing along with the mum. I don't think I've ever willed someone on that much before. When she got tired and started to give up I was encouraging her and pushing her on. I could have easily cried when it was all over, it was the most emotional experience I have ever witnessed. Baby's daddy was fantastic he stayed by mum all the time, he did everything he possibly could for her. I think it's very hard for the men when the women are in labour they don't know what to do or say and when they do something they get snapped and shouted at. It must be very hard to watch someone you love in that much pain. This dad took it in his stride and kept encouraging her, getting her lots of drinks, cooling her down and sacrificing his hand as a stress ball. After a VERY long labour and a absolutely exhausted mum a gorgeous baby was born. I think mum instantly forgot all she had just been though and the look on her face was amazing. She and her husband were incredible and now they have a gorgeous baby to show off.

Flossy x

No comments:

Post a Comment