Friday 29 June 2012

Impulse Buy

Normally I regret all of my impulse purchases and Mike normally disapproves, however my latest one I think he quite liked.

I got given a reading week in University, so on the Friday afternoon I booked a flight to California for the week, I flew out on the Saturday morning. It was such a rush and a last minute idea but I'm so so so glad I did it though.

For the week I worked at the camp that I worked on 2 years ago where I met Mike. It was strange to go back and see how the camp had changed. There is soo many more kids there now. The biggest week I had during my summer was 60 kids, I think the least they have this year is about 100-120. And they have sooo much more staff too. There was people everywhere. It was really good to see how the camp has expanded and grown. Mike works so hard for the camp and puts in a lot of hours, he spent a lot of time whilst he was here doing things, and I could see where all that work had gone.

I got to meet the Camp Director too who didn't work there when I was there but started last year. I had heard so much about him that it was nice to finally meet him in person. It was also nice to meet all the other counselors and staff because I had heard stories from Mike so it was lovely to be able to put a face to the name. Everyone was super nice, I was so nervous going there because they had all known each other for at least 2 weeks and had made close friendships that I thought they might be a bit weary of me coming in just for a week. But I am their boss's girlfriend so I guess they had to be nice to me.

The week went by really quickly, too quick actually. It took me about a day and half of to get used to things and remember certain things but after that it was like I hadn't been away. They sang a lot of different songs though so I  just mimed and did the hand motions to try and get away with it. I was working with the 5-6 year olds, so I had my hands full, I had forgotten how tiring they were. But also how much fun they can be. A few of the kids who were there 2 years ago were back, that was strange to see how much they had grown up. A few remembered me, a few didn't which kind of broke my heart a little but its understandable that they didn't.

I got to spend some time with Mike which was lovely! We went for food one night and the basketball game was on so he was super happy. It was strange being with him when he was in his country. I was totally dependent on him which I'm not used to. But I could defiantly get used to being driven around everywhere. He asked me if I wanted to drive which I quickly declined. Their roads scare me, all the cars are so big and they just seem to go in any directions they want to. As we were driving back to the airport I kind of got used to it and thought a few times that maybe I would be okay, but I will defiantly need a few lessons first, which will be amusing.

It was super exciting to be there and think that I could potentially be living there in a few months. It made me more determined and excited to find a way of getting out there. It did make me realize that it's going to take so much hard work, but I've seen it now and I have that image of me driving down their freeway in my mind so I've got a new lease of enthusiasm about the whole thing.

Even though it cost me a fair bit of money to go I'm so glad I did. Before I went out there I was seriously finding things hard. Mike was so busy that we only got to message a few times a day. It was okay for a while but then it just started to get to me. Its hard not being able to talk to the person you want to the most. I don't know if/how I would have managed the summer if I hadn't gone out to see him. After seeing it for myself I can understand how he is so busy, and now if there is a long gap in messages I can figure out what he is doing and it makes it better. Its still super hard though and I know its going to get super tough again but I really don't have long left now. I've never been more excited to finish something in my life.

Flossy x

No comments:

Post a Comment