Sunday 17 July 2011

Roger that.

This last week I've been doing shifts in Ambulance Control. It was a real eye opener. I spent the week wearing a Britney style headset, I had to fight the urge a few times to jump up and start singing and dancing, but that wouldnt of gone down very well.They have such a hard job. The demand for ambulances is so great and they have to ensure that there is always an ambulance within 8 minutes of any one place. Obviously they cant always do that but boy do they try and they do a great job. Its so high tech there. Each part of the country has its own allocation desk, and they have 8 computer screens around them. It would be any computer lovers dream!

I was allowed to listen into 999 calls and see how the call takers interact, deal and process the call. I listened to them give advice on how to help treat people before the ambulance arrived. They have an emotional job. Some calls I listened in on were quite distressing, but they are not allowed to deviate from the script on their screen so cant even offer reassurance unless they are told to. They have to put up with a lot of verbal abuse too which I found shocking. Even if someone is calling them every name under the sun they are not allowed to hang up, and if  the caller hangs up they have to then ring them back. They must have very thick skin.
I'm very glad I had the opportunity to go and witness what they do, I have so much respect for what they do.

The biggest tip I picked up is if you ever have to call for an ambulance the first thing they ask for is the address, as soon as you give that the ambulance is on its way so don't feel like they are delaying any help when they ask questions about what has happened. They are just trying to gain as much information for the ambulance crew and help you treat the patient if possible.

I realised I could never work in an office, all I do is eat. I was constantly munching on something, it wouldn't have been so bad if it was fruit but no it was biscuits, crisps and chocolate. Not good for my diet! Next week i'm in an office again so i'm going to have to be a whole lot better otherwise ill be the size of a whale soon.

I've been doing Zumba quite a lot lately. I bought the game for the wii and I love it! Its such a good workout, you can really feel it in your stomach and hips. The first time I did it I was absolutely shattered after 12 minutes, but now I've managed to work my way up to doing 2 20 minute lessons. I freestyle for most of it and just end up shaking my butt to try and get more points :) You can do it at your own pace and you can learn some new dance moves too. I don't think I'm quite ready to bust them out in a club yet though, would probably result in getting a few funny looks.

It was one of the boy's birthdays from the swimming pool I used to work in last night, so around 20 of us went for a night out to celebrate. It was a really nice night. I hadn't seen some of them in so long so it was a good giggle. Shame it rained all night though. I had bit of a hair nightmare. I've stopped doing a side parting now I'm saying goodbye to the fringe after a good 6 years. I'm trying out a middle parting now, not sure how successful it's going to be.

Me- Pre hair nightmare
                                                                                     
Gareth, Me and Sam. This picture makes me giggle, they look like my bodyguards.
                                                     

Flossy x

No comments:

Post a Comment