Friday 9 March 2012

If At First You Don't Succeed... Try Try Again

Since Alex (my cat) has been a kitten we have always struggled to give him tablets. If they are for worming or antibiotics, it always ends up the same, with us bleeding and sweating and Alex running round the house trying to hide . Eventually we have to admit defeat and take him to the vets for him to give it to him. He just stands there and opens his mouth so he makes us look like massive wimps and liars, but I have lots of scars to prove we've tried. He went to have bloods taken the other week because I had notice he had lost a lot of weight and had been eating and drinking waaay more than usual. He got diagnosed with an over active thyroid (or hyperthyroidism if you want to be all fancy and posh). As soon as they told me that I knew what they were going to say next.... ' It's treated with daily tablets' my heart dropped a little .

Tiny but mighty
                                                               

Yesterday was day 1 of the tablets. I armed myself with a long sleeve shirt and the thickest towel I could find in the house . I locked us into my living room so if he escaped then at least I wouldn't have to chase him around the house . 45 minutes later I walked out battered, bruised, bleeding and exhausted. He is the sneakiest cat, whoever thinks cats are dumber than dogs haven't met Alex. He kept spitting the tablet out and but leaving it tucked under his lip on the side that was facing away from me so I couldn't see it, then me being all smug thinking my job was done would let him go only to then watch him walk slowly away, turn back to face me and then spit it out nicely on the floor. We got there in the end though. I think Alex is learning to just take the tablet and it'll all be over faster, today's only took 5 minutes, I was amazed. I might have spoken a bit too soon though ..only another 38 tables to go!

Flossy x

No comments:

Post a Comment